Food Preservation

We always had what we needed.

One thing I clearly remember, as a child in the '70's, was that mom always saved produce.  No matter how banged up there was a use, we preserved it by cooking, canning, freezing, dehydrating or eating it! We'd spend hours in the kitchen blanching and peeling peaches or tomatoes, or whatever was in season.

We kept a garden when we were able, traded or bartered for other produce when it was available, and we preserved whatever we could for lean times. 

Living in the desert doesn't lend much to gardening so I often find myself reviewing the produce sales and thinking about how to preserve the items on sale.  Can I freeze it? Maybe can it? Can I make up sauces, dressings, or stock? There are many ways to make use of those sales, generally what is in season at the time. Making jams, jellies and compotes are always simple and generally the most efficient way to use up leftover fruits.  I like to put over ripe fruits into the freezer, and store them until I have enough to make up a jam, jelly or compote.

For instance, potatoes recently took a big jump in price.  If you're trying to live on a budget, spending twice the amount on a ten pound bag of potatoes can put a dent in your budget.  So, when you catcht the 5 pound bag of potatoes on sale for $1.49, it really helps if you can buy several bags and preserve them.  Canning or freezing potatoes is pretty easy and you'll save quite a bit on your monthly budget when the prices jump up! No need to buy them if they aren't on sale.

Last summer we caught carrots on sale for a crazy low price so we bought about 30 pounds and processed them into jars for canning, shredded some to freeze for soups and baking, and mixed up some pickling juice to make "fire crackers".  

When we caught apples on sale for $.99/pound-- we did the same thing...can for pie filling, freeze for applesauce. I always prefer to make applesauce in the cooler weather.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How did you raise children on minimum wage?